Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back to Rehab!!!

BACK TO REHAB

WELL, It looks like summer is over for Chie too. We received a call the other day that informed us all the paper work was complete and in order, so we are set to begin at Pate Rehabilitation on Tuesday the 2nd, YEA!!!! It kind of caught us off guard with school just starting, the party, setting up a home therapy routine for Chie etc.... We have been saying September 1st is when the funds will be dispursed and we are at the top of the list, but we did not know at what speed the process would move from when the funds were given out. We had heard some horror stories of people having to wait more than a month. We had some other distractions that kept us from realizing , its September already!

We are very happy to have been able to get into this rehab and we will receive 6 months of treatment thanks to DARS (disabled Assistive Rehabilitative Services). We have already toured the facility and Chie is very excited to go there. She knows many people who have gone to Pate. The schedule and program looks really good. Chie will take part in making her own schedule, planning activities or tasks that interest and pertain to her, managing her time to do such things, and planning outings. When we went to tour the place, Chie had worked out her own little test with Sheila to see whether or not this place was alright. I did not know about it since Chie went directly to Pate from Sheila's house where she had her first sleepover!! Anyways, Chie tells Sheila, "If this lady takes me to the bathroom when I ask, then they alright." Thankfully the lady did not even hesitate when Chie asked to use the restroom during the interview. That's all I needed was to have to have to go through a round of battling over who takes her to the bathroom, but I have to admit, I was proud of her. It seemed like valid test to me after some of the rotten things we have been through by some of the laziest, least inteligent people on the planet. I cringe just thinking about them and I pray I never run across them on the street.

So, now with Pate passing with flying colors we will begin Tuesday. I will be off this week getting her admitted and meeting with therapist, counselors, etc... As soon as we get settled I will find out the lunch procedure for those of you who bring food and eat with her. I do ask that everyone please wait a couple of weeks so that she can get settled into the routine without any distractions and focus on her work at hand. I'll be sure and update you all to let you know how she is doing and when she is ready to have visitors. I will be making sure she has a good breakfast, as I am sure she will be talking to her new found friends, a lot.


Would like to thank everyone who helped us through this little transition period. Bobby, I dont know what I would have done without your help. We are forever in your debts brother. Bobby got a real taste of what it is like to be with Chie 24/7 since he stayed for a total of 6 weeks to help out during summer school and until Chie got into Pate. He left with a whole new respect for the word patience and probaly one he has not had since raising kids. He didnt get a chance to meet everyone at the party, but he was responsible of all the good food coming off the grill. Thank you to the Junko, Akiko, and Megumi for making that long drive from Keller to check up on Chie in the Afternoons while I was at school.

It was no small task, but with all of your help we were able to keep Chie working over the summer and hopefully somewhat ready for Pate. She continued with her walker, making all the way to the stop sign and back, she used the grabber, finally, for the first time while playing with Udon in the yard, she has been reading a story a day from her Japanese folk tale book that Keiko sensei gave her, she beat both Bobby and me at Othello repeatedly, practiced piano (if you thought you were tired of hearing The Star Spangled Banner from the Olympics, you ought to drop by our house these days), treasure hunt, categories, boggle, family feud, Jeopardy (well, that was mainly Bobby and I), sorting medicines, washing the car, folding clothes, and whatever else we could think of that could be seen as therapy, she did it. We even got her to use the computer, FINALLY!!!! I have been trying for six months to get her to use the computer but she just hasnt had any interest in it. Now, after some minor repairs, we have it hooked up to the huge TV, as she calls it, and she can see it! I am guessing that was the problem with the other one we have. We played some games on the internet to keep her mind sharp and then she got a call from her old friends Shochan, Nagurian, and Nichan. I had the big keyboard out, the giant Mouse ready, and showed her an email with great big monsterous type that she could read with ease, and then came the words Ive been waiting to hear, "I want to write them back , on the computer" Finally! and so she did. Thank you girls for calling. Chie didnt mean to cry, but wanted to let you know she was just so excited to hear from you. Its been a while since anyone has contacted her from Japan. Anyways, We tried to make it a working holiday so to speak.


Well , I will keep you updated frequently as we make the transition, but I am going to stop now because Chie wants to TYPE her first blog entry right after this,,,,,,YEA!

Thank you all for making her recovery a success!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chie is an "Amazing Person".

Although her life has become much more challenging than any of us could imagine or even withstand, she still awakens with that happy, caring, and thankful attitude that we all remember and love.

Most mornings this summer, I was blessed to be greeted by the sound of her wheelchair bumping into the hallway, followed by her joyous voice saying "Good Morning, Good Morning." I usually only get out of bed around the six o'clock hour to go hunting or fishing. Shortly after my beautiful revielle, I would throw her a pop tart or bowl of cereal and she would commence to say "Thank you, Bobby. Thank you, Bobby. Thank you very much." I would say "You're welcome" and this would continue on the rest of the day. She was so very grateful for every minor thing, so I told her it was too much and she should just thank me once at the end of the day. That did'nt work out, so I asked her if we could lessen the "Thank you" to TY and "You're welcome" to YW. That was'nt good by her standards. So about every few minutes of the day, she thanks me.

There are many other stories about her that bring both smiles and tears. We all should be able to experience and share the Love, Joy and Happiness that Chie has, brings, and radiates from her heart to everyone around her, despite her terrible tragedy and loss.

"THANK YOU, CHIE. THANK YOU, CHIE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH."

I gladly did what others couldn't or even thought was insane. I'll always be here to help, Chie, besides you've helped me even more.

Chie, You truly are an "Amazing Person."

Not to forget. "Thank you, Dave" for your constant graditude and genuine appreciation expressed to me. I'm just a part timer, you dedicated your entire life to someone that we all love and adore. Your a good man!

Friends Always. Love, BB

Chie said...

TY Bobby, TY